Now that the official EoL of EEv3 has arrived. I wanted to start a conversation on where EEv4 stands for most of us users. I personally feel that EEv4 is not yet ready for production. I have a couple of low priority sites moved but have stopped short of moving the important sites over to v4 while more bugs are ironed out. EEv3 is still working fine for now while I wait for v4 to mature. I would say Docker has been a big shock in the way things are done, but I am getting used to it. This post was written off the cuff and I am sure I missed some things and some fears might be needless.
Why is it not ready?
- The update command needs to be fully functional.
- Email outbound needs to work.
- UFW firewall does not work.
- Stability* The Docker renaming problem caused some grief and downtime. Fear of change on a future x.0 or x.1 release still has me wondering if a structure change will be pushed and break things.
- Stability* Rebooting fears. Sometimes sites were not coming back up. A reboot needs to be 100%. If we are resorting to a reboot, taking the server completely down means we need to be sure they will all come back up.
*Some of the stability issues will solidify with time and comfort levels will increase, but that still puts v4 in testing status for me. This post is not a bash on EE. Yes, there are work arounds to most of the issues, but that is not the point. To be production ready means we only need to focus on admin tasks, not doing work arounds. I still prefer both v3 and v4 of EE to all the other options out there. Having just spun up a competing project yesterday to see if I should jump ship. EE still has the right direction, just a little further to go.
If you have specific bug, Please use GitHub issues. It is easier for the devs. https://github.com/EasyEngine/easyengine/issues
What are everyone else’s thoughts on v4 thus far?