Mobile devices - android Issue?

Hi there rtCampers

I’m not sure about this and am reporting it as I couldn’t find any answer as yet. It might be that you guys are already aware of it or it may be down to my particular device. So can any one confirm the following:

Issue: When testing on a mobile device, in this case Android 4.2.2, I can’t upload anything except by using a File Manager…If using camera, gallery or another app, the browser app crashes or boots you back to your set home-page.

Tested
Theme: Twenty-Twelve, Buddypress Default
Active Plugins: Buddypress, rtMedia

TIA

Attachment Link(s):

http://rtcamp.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/topics/4848/2013/07/debug_info.png

bump

4.2.2 is quite an old version of Android. I use that exact version on my phone. Does the problem happen on newer versions also?

4.2.2 is the latest Android version Jelly Bean…

Everytime I try and upload regardless of browser, tried them all, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, Stock Browser - all boot me back to the browsers default homepage…Javascript issue perhaps?

Just tried uploading media and adding a YouTube video using an Android Virtual Device through Eclipse (Dev Environment for Android) and nothing uploads. Only 2 plugins enabled - BuddyPress and rtMedia with the Twenty-Twelve theme (also tried BuddyPress Default) and nothing uploads…

All aok on the desktop though.

Any heads-up what’s the issue?

Guys, we are checking this…

Just tried and can confirm that this issue exists (at least with my testing) on the rtMedia demo site http://demo.rtcamp.com/buddypress-media/ that uploading doesn’t work either on Android 4.2…

For any social media platform, mobile uploads regardless of OS should be fundamental. So many more people access social media via mobile phones rather than sitting at a desk…

Just want to know is this a bug/issue and if so is it going to get fixed any time soon?

TIA

@madcap66
Yes, this is an issue, we will try to fix it soon. Thanks for pointing it.

OK great and thanks Nitun. At least I can move on and sort something else out in the knowledge that it is getting checked.

@madcap66 of course 4.2.2 is the latest version. Apologies for that.

YES PLEASE ! Since 3.0.8 Upload via iphone and smartphone don´t work !

Please Update this !

@henrywright - no probs…guessed it might have been a mistake but you did make me check to make sure lol!

Any update on this issue please?

UPDATE:

When clicking ‘Select’ media button, you should get the options to either use the camera, webcam, gallery, file manager to upload an image.

If you choose any option other than file manager (ES File Manager in my case), the image will upload. But try using gallery or camera, and the upload fails and crashes to the default browser homepage…

Please can someone look into this as a matter or urgency? So many more people like to use mobile devices on the move as opposed to sitting at their desktop pc/laptop…TIA

Please please Nitun or someone please update this ‘issue’ - especially when you consider the following stats. I and I’m sure other can put up with other issues which we’re sure will be rectified in due course, but not being able to interact using a mobile device just seems plain crazy…Please can you advise us all when this issue will be FIXED?

1. There are 6.8 Billion People on the planet, 4 billion use a mobile phone and only 3.5 billion of them use a toothbrush. That’s right; more people use a mobile phone than a toothbrush.

2. 91% of adults have their mobile phone at their fingertips 24/7. Eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom and in the bedroom. We can have access to people more often on mobile.

3. 25% of Americans ONLY use mobile devices to access the internet. How many people are you missing by not being mobile friendly?

4. There are 5x as many cell phones in the world as there are PCs

5. 82% of US Adults own a cellphone.

6. 90% of mobile searches lead to an action; over 50% lead to a purchase.

7. 70% of mobile searches lead to action within 1 hour.

8. 74% of smartphone users use their phone to help with shopping and 79% of them ultimately end up buying.

9. Mobile coupons receive 10x higher redemption rates than print coupons. If you are not allowing people to redeem offers by showing a screen or coupon code on their device, you should start.

According to your release info…v.3.0.10 should work with mobiles.

I’ve tried the rtMedia demo site and it still doesn’t upload from mobile devices.

I’ve tried Eclipse AVD, actual phones and Opera Emulator. Uploading still not working for me from any app like stock gallery EXCEPT ES File Explorer…using ES File Explorer the image uploads…

Can you please update us all on this issue?? It’s been Under Review for ages now!

TIA

@madcap66 if you really need something done quickly rtMedia’s paid support is brilliant. I worked with them about 2 months ago on the featured media functionality. Definitely worth an enquiry if you’re stuck.

@henrywright Thanks for letting me know about the paid support feature. Didn’t know about it. Please take that @rtcamp that I’m enquiring!

However, to be fair, it does say on the latest release notes that mobile uploading had been fixed.

Thx

Sorry for my late reply on this topic. :expressionless:
@madcap66 I read your research, thanks for letting me know.
By the way, mobile issues has been resolved for latest android device browsers.
We will debug more and fix other issues.

@henrywright
Thank you :slight_smile:

When on an android device in buddypress groups the "select" button goes straight to the camera, it doesn't bring up the standard window to choose 'gallery' or 'camera' but on the user profile activity the window appears. Why? I need users in groups to be able to select the type of media they can upload not be forced into using the camera on android. Thanks.