Where to config to point to my own media node server?

I’ve built my own local media node server but I’m not finding any information on where I need to configure the plugin to know about my local server.
Can someone provide a little info on this so I can test the plugin to see if we want to purchase.

Thanks.

@rtmike
Have you purchased the rtMedia FFMPEG add-on?
If not, then you need to purchase it and use it with media node, audio/video encoding will work fine.
We also have other alternative for FFMPEG add-on, you can use our audio-video encoding service which is free and available inbuilt with rtMedia plugin.

Thanks,
–Nitun

No, I’m just trying to test it as your literature suggests. Therefore, I am trying to build a media-node server but that is turning into a nightmare of problems.

So, are you saying there is no way to test unless I purchase??

PS: Each time I reply to something in your forum (here), I then get a white page with the following error.

{“media_id”:null,“activity_id”:-1,“redirect_url”:"",“permalink”:"",“cover_art”:null}

By the way, this doesn’t answer my question :).

So, YES, I want to build my own server and do my own conversions and am asking how I point the plugin to my own server, once I can get it built and working.

Thanks.

Without purchasing the FFMPEG add-on, how you can test/check whether its working with media node or not.
If you are only looking how to point plugin with media node server, then our plugin have settings (options) where you just need to give server path and the encoding start working. But make sure the media-node installed on server. Check this topic discussion. You can also test from plugin’s settings whether media node correctly installed or not.

IF when I can ever get the media node server running, then I would like to run the free version to test how things work. Your literature even says ‘try the free version first’ which is what I would like to try but, with my own media node server.

We do not have FFMPEG free version for video/audio encoding. Yes, we mentioned to use free version of rtMedia first and check whether the current theme/plugins of your site working with it or not. then only go for rtMedia pro version.
Let me clear you, FFMPEG add-on is different than rtMedia plugin.

Also you can check the media-node server status by http://server-ip:port/status (use IP and port here).

This still does not explain how I use the media server with your rtmedia plugin.

As I mentioned you can check the status of media node server by checking http://server-ip:port/status (use IP and port here).
If you want to access the media node via plugin then you need to purchase FFMPEG plugin. There is no other way.

Note: after purchasing the FFMPEG plugin, if its not working for you, get a refund from us refer refund policy (https://rtcamp.com/refund-policy/).

You can’t use media-node server with rtMedia directly. To use media node, you need to buy rtMedia-ffmpeg add-on.

rtMedia provide multiple solution for audio/video encoding. You can get more info from here

It is silly that you put us through all of this because my servers always have full conversion and compression for all media types. Using your solution means having to get rid of all the tools I’ve already built which are working perfectly for all other CMS which already have media handling working well.

As for already telling me to check my server, you never bothered to tell me what port which is 1203.

I don’t mind buying the product IF it is going to work but I’ve spent two days just trying to get your media-node installed so far and that is still not working on either Centos nor Ubuntu. I am working in another thread with support.

You still have not confirmed something. When I purchase this, does it come with the option to point to my own media-node server as stated in your literature? Because, this is all I have been asking for days now.

Yes, it have setting to point your media-node server.

Ah, very good! Ok, so now at least this confirms that I need to get my media-node server running properly before buying to test.

There are some other questions but I’ll post them separately.

Thank you.

It is silly that you put us through all of this because my servers always have full conversion and compression for all media types. Using your solution means having to get rid of all the tools I’ve already built which are working perfectly for all other CMS which already have media handling working well.

You can write your own codes which can make rtMedia use your tool as it is.

Its not silly, but common sense that we cannot support every tool out there.

And we are offering free encoding services to all users - http://rtcamp.com/rtmedia/addons/audio-video-encoding-service/ who do not want to setup their own compression/converison tools.

It is absolutely silly for us admins who build our own servers, who install all of the media tools for compression and conversion and now have to destroy all of that in order to allow rtmedia to work.

There should be another option to use the tools on a server which already has them instead of having to waste all that work to install media-node.

I’m not sure why you would think this is not silly.

media-node comes with installation script which takes care of packages automatically.

If you think media-node is just installation script for ffmpeg related package, then I am sorry to say but you got it completely wrong till now.

Apart from packages media-node installs a small web-app, coded in node.js, which implements job-manager around ffmpeg and other packages.

rtMedia-FFMPEG addon doesn’t use PHP’s ffmpeg extension. PHP’s ffmpeg extension is not efficient way to handle encoding jobs on a high traffic site.

In case of media-node, PHP processes submit jobs for encoding and exit. Every job has a callback-url which is called upon job completion.

Another advantage is media-node can be run on different server (some customers are using a dedicated encoding server).

For users who need help with media-node setup, we offer installation service also - https://rtcamp.com/store/rtmedia-ffmpeg-media-node-setup-service/

In your case, you already have a media-node setup running I guess. [Ref - https://rtcamp.com/support/topic/cannot-get-past-sqlite-error/ ]

About “There should be another option”… We have provided two options for two different use-cases. For other cases, we have provided enough hooks in rtMedia core. If you like to solve this problem in different way, feel free to do so.

You may code a small addon which calls ffmpeg directly from PHP may be using. rtMedia already provides hooks for upload event. Make sure you read caveats before getting to this - https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Using%20FFmpeg%20from%20PHP%20scripts

We will be happy to promote your solution as well. It might help users who want direct ffmpeg calls from PHP.

So to sum up:

1. You can use free encoding service. No packages will be touched on your server.
  2. You can use media-node. You may hire us to get it working with rtMedia in a way that other packages are not affected. Or simply run media-node on another machine.
  3. You can code a small PHP script which does everything you want.

I am aware that the install adds other tools but all of those tools and much more, I already working 100% on my servers because Joomla and other CMS’s all support media directly without having to get into a lot of weird problems such as Wordpress.

Once I have the server installed, it doesn’t bother me which one I am using at that point, whether it is media-node or my own tools, so long as things work as they should and don’t become a nightmare to support.

Installing the media-node server took TWO days because of all the problems. The script is not problem free and I had to work through a lot of problems, resolve each one to get to the next step. There is a definite problem with when the script gets to sqlite which you might want to look at my other thread about.

As for using ‘free’ encoding or any other external services, I don’t believe in those things because for one, each one eventually turns into a money grabbing service once enough users are hooked on it and two, I don’t believe it is a good idea to send all kinds of data over the net if you don’t have to.

Running my own servers has always taken priority.

Anyhow, I appreciate the input and we’ll see how things go now that I have the media-node server running. I was told I could buy the rtmedia addon and if it doesn’t work, could get a refund. I’m sure it’s not that cut and dry but perhaps I’ll be pleasantly surprised.