V3.3.4 Update PHP version?

I have an old site that was setup with v3.3.4, I’d like to update it’s PHP version. The ee update command itself fails, I saw a suggestion in these forums to try:

wget -qO ee rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee

instead - can I successfully update a version this old without basically breaking everything?

Is it possible to alter a conf file to use php-fpm instead in the current config? Ex: my /etc/nginx/common/php.conf has:

location ~ .php$ {
try_files $uri =404;
include fastcgi_params;
fastcgi_pass php;
}

Can I just change to fastcgi_pass /path/to/latest/php; and restart nginx? Or is the PHP version baked in somewhere else?

You should be using https://wordops.net if you’re not into the v4/Docker platform.

You mean I should ask this question on their forum? I just want to know how to safely update this old install to the latest PHP version - I’m fine doing it manually by updating a conf file, but wanted to see what the ee 3.x “way” should be.

You’ll most likely have to do a fresh install of WordOps. It’s a direct fork of v3 but with updated commands and dependencies. You might run into issues when updating your PHP version with EEv3.

Gotcha, thank you.

I was just searching this system, and I see:

server unix:/run/php5-fpm.sock;

server 127.0.0.1:9000;

in
/etc/nginx/conf.d/upstream.conf

if I change this to the php7x-fpm port and restart nginx, might work? Is this where ee is drawing the PHP version from?