Unable to install media node on server

Hi.
I requested Inmotion web hosting service to install the media node on my Linux Cent OS 6 server. I require it running so I can install RT Media PRO and the FFMPEG add on.
They were unable to install it. Please help us resolve this issue.
Here is a copy of the reply I received from InMotion tech team:

Hello Scott,

Thank you for contacting us today.

The installation instructions on that site don’t work. Here is the output of the command it says to run:

root@advanced1835 [/opt]# curl -sL https://raw.github.com/rtCamp/media-node/master/install.sh | sudo bash
bash: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token newline' bash: line 1:
root@advanced1835 [/opt]# curl -sL https://raw.github.com/rtCamp/media-node/master/install.sh

400 Bad Request

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

That being said I was able to find the package source here:

I ran into several errors while installing media-node. Most notably in order to compile FFMPEG from the source provided I needed to allow /tmp to be have exec properties. I changed /tmp back to noexec when the installation was finished.

The following errors were displayed at the completion of the install:
TypeError: Object function createServer() {
function app(req, res, next){ app.handle(req, res, next); }
merge(app, proto);
merge(app, EventEmitter.prototype);
app.route = ‘/’;
app.stack = ;
return app;
} has no method ‘static’
at Object. (/root/media-node/ffmpeg_server.js:383:24)
at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:474:10)
at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:497:10)
at startup (node.js:119:16)
at node.js:901:3
Error: SQLITE_ERROR: duplicate column name: duration
Error: SQLITE_ERROR: duplicate column name: thumbs

The errors appear related to node.js, which is not installed. However, it appears FFMPEG was successfully installed which can be seen here:
root@advanced1835 [/opt/media-node]# ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version N-66578-g5c378d6 Copyright © 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
built on Oct 2 2014 17:43:02 with gcc 4.4.7 (GCC) 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4)
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libfaac --enable-nonfree
libavutil 54. 9.100 / 54. 9.100
libavcodec 56. 2.101 / 56. 2.101
libavformat 56. 7.102 / 56. 7.102
libavdevice 56. 1.100 / 56. 1.100
libavfilter 5. 1.102 / 5. 1.102
libswscale 3. 1.100 / 3. 1.100
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 1.100 / 53. 1.100

I completely exhausted your managed hosting time while doing this investigation + 30 more minutes that I’m filing to research time.

Please let us know if you have any further questions; we are more than happy to help.

Best Regards,
Chase S.
Managed Hosting Team

Sincere appreciation and regards,
Scott Shaffner CD
Owner Career Chat Rooms/Career Hub

I’ve never been able to get the media node installed with the script. I always have to run through it line by line and verify everything went right.

Once you download the main install script, you’ll vi it, choose the script for the right OS, and then open that in a text editor. Just run through it line by line and it’ll be just fine. Usually takes me about an hour from start to finish. Most of the errors you’ll get are google-able for a quick fix and then onto the next line of code.

Once you get it it installed and running, when starting it you’ll get two sqlite errors, you can safely ignore them, about duplicate columns. Every time I have to restart the node server, too, I also have to rm the db.sqlite file otherwise thumbnails dont generate (shows undefined rather than “3”), but that’s an easy fix in the restart script.

Ben

Hi @illusionsglass,

Thank you for your contribution in community support. :smile: