/srv instead of /var/www

I like these easy engine scripts, but anyway to get you guys to migrate to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard?

/var is not for web root or web sites, it’s purpose is for variable data files. This includes spool directories and files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary files.

/srv is for serving files, the purpose of the /srv directory: /srv contains site-specific data which is served by this system.

Everyone seems to put websites into /var/www because everyone else does, seems wrong to me. thoughts?

In the word of Linux, choice is welcome :smile: You can put web root wherever you want. My preference is /home/username/domains/domainname.com/public_html

Linux is a multiuser sistem, and every user can have his own virtual servers. I think that makes sense. However, for wp I now use the ee way because of the convenience.

/var/www is the default webroot on all Debian systems, on BSD system it’s /net/www, and so on …

When you have to work with many different systems, you learn to be more open to alternatives.

I agree that choice is welcome. However, if choice is welcome, the ee script should allow users to configure the webroot during/before the install but default to whatever makes sense or familiar.

Currently, there’s no way I can move the webroot easily while still using ee to manage my websites.

@weyhan

You can simply create web-root where you want by using simple soft link

First create symbolic link:

ln -s /var/www /srv/www

Now you can create Website using EasyEngine.

@miteshshah

That’s a workaround and not a real solution. It works but still a workaround.

@weyhan

Right and we have already plan to provide shared hosting model in near future.

Refer: https://github.com/rtCamp/easyengine/milestones/2.5%20"Shared"/multiuser%20hosting%20support

@miteshshah Sorry, I’m not familiar with how shared hosting model works. If the shared hosting model can support moving the webroot while the rest remain the same (i.e. like how it is currently with www-data as the user and group, and etc), it will be great. However, from the little I understand, it’s quite a bit more restricted than the current model and it’s not ideal.

It would be great if you would let me know my above assumption is correct.

Oh, BTW, although I complain, I still think you guys are doing a great job with EasyEngine. As it is, I’ve already save a lot of time maintaining my servers. Thanks for the wonderful piece of software.

Hi @weyhan

It’s been a long time, and we haven’t heard from you. It looks like your issue is resolved.

For any news on Shared-hosting-model support in Easyengine ,you may keep watch on Github issue tracker of Easyengine relating to shared hosting feature.

I am closing this support topic for now. Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile: