Slow first page load - un-primed cache? slow mysql?


#1

I must be missing something during setup, as I can’t figure out why the first load of a page clocks for a few seconds. This is the second install where I have sub-par performance from the ee setup.

I just installed the lastest ee 3.1.6 on a new DO 8 GB server. 4 GB swap setup

ee installed without an issue, as did these subsequent commands.

ee stack install --web ee stack install --admin

ee site create example.com --mysql --hhvm

(Note that I didn’t choose --pagespeed, but it was still installed and enabled) I get the same slow result if this is on or off.

This is for an expressionengine site and not a WP site, but I have the same results on a WP site as well.

I think I have a caching problem somewhere. But memcache and opcache show usage and no glaring problems. When debug is enabled, I can’t really tell if there are errors. I do notice a resource temporarily unavaible every now and again, but from what I can find online, this is normal since nginx is non blocking? [debug] 8189#0: *12022 recv() not ready (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)

Here is a truncated log snapshot for a long long time.

==> access.log <==
173.245.54.210 1.127 - [x/y/2015:12:46:57 -0400]  "GET /lifestyle/college-three-
141.101.105.49 **3.962** - [x/y/2015:12:47:02 -0400]  "GET /lifestyle/the-scarlet-le
173.245.56.209 0.218 - [x/y/2015:12:47:02 -0400]  "GET /politics/state-legislatu
141.101.105.57 0.357 - [x/y/2015:12:47:04 -0400]  "GET /lifestyle/the-scarlet-le
108.162.215.237 **3.745** - [x/y/2015:12:47:08 -0400]  "GET /politics/oregons-post-e
173.245.56.244 0.081 - [x/y/2015:12:47:18 -0400]  "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 18004 "-"
173.245.56.209 **9.584** - [x/y/2015:12:47:19 -0400]  "GET /news/oregon-could-lose-1
173.245.50.225 0.110 - [x/y/2015:12:47:27 -0400]  "GET /rss/politics HTTP/1.1" 200 4531
188.114.104.23 0.073 - [x/y/2015:12:47:31 -0400]  "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 18004 "-" "Mozilla/"
173.245.54.231 0.359 - [x/y/2015:12:47:32 -0400]  "GET /business/will-portland-be"
108.162.212.34 1.573 - [x/y/2015:12:47:33 -0400]  "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 7955 "-" "Mozilla/"

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated to help speed up an intial page load. Thanks for looking at this topic.


#2

Hi, i’m experiencing the same situation on a VPS (SSD version) with a Wordpress MU install


#3

It’s almost the exact same on the WP site, although it’s not running 3.1.6, but rather a 2.x version, and --wpfc for the install. I get 3-10 second initial page loads on cache MISS’es. No slow sql queries, and not indication why the huge processing/time hit on initial loading.


#4

Update: I fix my problem, caused by an incorrect configuration of the Domain Mapping plugin. Now the first page loads in a fraction of a second!

DNS Side: instead CNAME, create a A record for the main site and specified in the domain mapping configuration (i cannot use the real IP because is behind a load balancer)

WPMU Side: Disabled all the options, except “Permanent redirect”


#5

hmmm - I have A records for the FQDN. I am not using MU and no domain mapping. :frowning:


#6

Hi @Mule5

I hope your query is resolved. I am closing this support topic for now.

Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile:


#7