Site down after updating to v4.0.12

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to wait any longer for a response so I ended up having to setup a new server and move everything over. Just sucks that it happened on the “stable” release.

1 Like

hey, thanks for the solution guys!! i was also looking for the same and it was helpful.
best regards!!

That nginx_proxy container has always given problems, not just in version 4.0.12.
For me it worked to stop the container with docker stop CONTAINER-ID and another docker start CONTAINER-ID . Hope this will help anyone else having this issue.

I had the same problem after restarting server, I get the 502 error on all of my Websites.
Multiple Restarts Did not fix the Problem.

I was able to Fix this by:

ee site disable <site_name>
ee site enable <site_name>

I had to do this for each and every website.

After this, In case you get “Error establishing a database connection” message.
Try:
ee service enable db

I Hope this Helps:smiley:

I had also all these problems and some more. I used first easyengine v3 which I really liked and after switching to easyengine v4, I had problems all the time. Sites were not working, because I could not renew SSL certifcates, my HDD filled completely up with log files. Getting SFTP working was an impossible task and I had others problems which I do not remember anymore.

So I looked at Wordops a easyengine v3 fork, which looked interesting and it does have a more active community, but in the end it would have been a step back to an older system.

In end I found an article about spinupwp.com . So I got a new server. I did some testing with sites that I had running on easyengine. I moved them to spinupwp and I got the same speed.

But I got also a lot of service and an easy user interface.

I do have now right from the start for each new site a SFTP and SSH access.
It comes with an integrated backup system.
The certificates are getting renewed automatically.
The update from PHP 7.3 to 7.4 were just 2 mouse clicks.
I do get always an email when my server does need to get an update, which is again just 1 mouse click.

So I will never go back to easyengine, because spinupwp does save you a lot of time and when you do have a problem or a question you do always get the help of a very competent team.

This is also a new system and the team told me that they will implement more things. They told me today that they are planning to implement also webp images, which would help also a lot with load times, which we will properly never see here on easyengine.

This service is not gratis, but it just cost 9 dollar per month per server. So if you have some sites on just one server this the best system what you can get.

so everyone that can spare 9 dollar a month, should go in my opinion with spinupwp. It will save you a lot of time and hassle.

1 Like

I have been running EE 4.0.17 for a while now without issues until this issue happened to me after a server reboot. I initially noticed when all of the HTTPS sites went down but the sites without a certificate were still up. Firefox and Chrome were returning Connection interrupted or Empty responses.

Running

docker logs --tail=10 -f services_global-nginx-proxy_1

didn’t provide any helpful information such as what @Mr_Anonymous had here . Nginx-proxy was working.

Speaking of nginx-proxy, docker ps | grep proxy was showing me that it was running version 4.0.3 which is not available on Dockerhub anymore.

Stopping and restarting the containers, disabling the sites, rebooting the server, updating to nightly, etc. didn’t help. I had the gut feeling it was related to nginx-proxy issue 1226 referrenced here.

How to fix: Update Change the nginx-proxy version

in /opt/easyengine/services there is a docker-compose.yml where I was able to change the nginx-proxy version from 4.0.3 to 4.1.2. . Bring the EE services down, rebuild the containers (fetch the prebuilt images), bring the containers up and you should be good.

cd /opt/easyengine/services
docker-compose stop
vim docker-compose.yml #change the nginx-proxy version number to 4.1.2
docker-compose build
docker-compose up
# Still wasn't working for me so I restarted the server in case there was a magic order for EE to launch
reboot
#Sites and services were back up but not nginx-proxy, force start
ee service restart nginx-proxy

I am not sure why these images are not updated automatically and there is no information from the EasyEngine team on how to force it. I was hesitant not knowing how intereconnected EE made their containers and if anything would break. In this case, I was lucky enough to get it to work. Your mileage may vary.

I hope this can help someone save quite a few hours of troubleshooting.