Should we upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS?

I have a notification in my server that I can upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS.

Is this advisable and will it break anything? The only thing I run on this server is a Wordpress blog powered by EasyEngine.

Why would you need to upgrade? Do you want to use some specific features that only available in 16.04? Generally it’s advisable to wait at least an year for the release to mature and all bugs ironed out.

Unless you have a specific need to use 16.04 just stay with 14.04

The upgrade from 16.04 to 16.04.1 LTS have already killed one of my EE install, so you should not try the upgrade from 14.04 :scream:

14.04 and 16.04 has different repository and different version of program so you may have a chance of error.

The end of life of Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS is not until April 2019. So I wouldn’t take any unnecessary risks.

This is what happened to me - how do you recover from it?

Backup your files and your databases (using the root account you can backup all your db) and reinstall your server. Ubuntu upgrade is not a good idea at all. You can also move to debian, to get the dotdeb.org repository (redis last release available) and less upgrades.

Found an easier solution, which just allows reinstalling ee:

rm -f $(which ee) && wget rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee

Followed by running the regular we installation:

wget -qO ee rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee

This leaves everything in place, doesn’t delete anything, and everything works again after completion.

Solution from here:

http://community.easyengine.io/t/ee-issue-after-upgrade/6504/5

1 Like