SFTP login "Received message too long 1416128883"

I’m not sure how to login by SFTP. All I did was start a new droplet on digital ocean and run the ee installer. Is there some additional setup for SFTP? I set password for www-data but can’t seem to login.

Thanks!

Firstly you need to install the ftp software to you server, have you done this already?
You will follow instructions akin to this:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-set-up-proftpd-on-ubuntu-12-04 just find the ftp software you want then the server kernel you use and search DO for the instructions

Takes 3 or 4 mins : )

You don’t need to install anything for SFTP.

Just make sure you choose port 22 while connecting.

To reset www-data password on server side, please run passwd www-data command.

Same issue here:

root@ee:~# passwd www-data
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@ee:~# exit
logout
Connection to 104.131.175.19 closed.

shane at rocket in ~
$ sftp [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:
Received message too long 1416128883

Hi @andrewklimek

This happens as sftp/scp doesn’t understand any output caused due to initialization scripts like .bashrc, .profile , .cshrc etc. You can confirm this by trying to ssh instead of sftp/scp and if you get any welcome message or output other sorts ,you’ll need to comment out the corresponding line from .bashrc / .profile / .cshrc etc

Please see this. to resolve this issue.

It’s been a long time, and we haven’t heard from you. It looks like your issue is resolved.

I am closing this support topic for now. Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile: