ServerName weirdness in Nginx

does anyone have an idea on that? ee (latest version) with a site running on domain.com great for quite a while now. I now wanted to make sure I also point subdomains to this host. I changed ServerName to:

ServerName domain.com *.domain.com

using ee site edit domain.com

Nginx got reloaded afterwards. domain.com still works. sub.domain.com shows nginx default page. I checked the DNS Settings and pinged sub.domain.com - points to the same IP than domain.com, I reloaded nginx once more, checked the config file, reloaded it once more. still the same.

I’m a bit buffled now. ideas?

(It’s a wordpress php7 setup but i guess that doesn’t matter and I also checked that sub.domain.com is on no other config files on the server)

In Nginx, wildcard character is not *, but _ instead.

thanks, interestingly it passed nginx -t text and after changing it now I still get the nginx default page on sub.domain.com- there seems to be something else causing this.

EDIT: these calls to the subdomain definitely don’t get handled by the vhost but the default host instead. They also appear in the default logfiles.

Try renaming the vhost in /etc/sites-enabled from default.conf to zzzzzz-default.conf or something like this. I had such kind of issues before, and this workaround did the trick for me.

after renaming the default conf the subdomain hits another host that is now first in the alphabetical order of config files.

There’s really some weird stuff going on.

pushing this up once more as I still didn’t get this fixed.

Looks like whatever I do to get sub.domain.com to be used by my domain.com vhost it only drops to the first vhost in the nginx config directory. it was on the default before, i moved away the default so it now hits the first vhost in place.

nginx -t reports no errors.

Any idea?

domain.com is running LE (SSL) if that