Server so slow

I’ve using easyengine with wordpress since a couple of years without any issues. I am not an expert so I pretty much use the default configuration. Since a couple of months I am experiencing serious performances issues so I begun to investigate.

The vps has 8 GB memory and ssd disk. It hosts 4 sites with minimum traffic and with mostly static content.

htop informs high cpu usages most of the time for the processes php-fpm See the image:

I’ve tried to tweak www.conf and reduced the pm.max_children to 40 from 200 and the situation improved a litlle but again the server is slow and pages are loading slowly, even with memcache.

/etc/php/5.6/fpm/pool.d/www.conf is as follows

user = www-data group = www-data listen = 127.0.0.1:9000 listen.owner = www-data listen.group = www-data pm = ondemand pm.max_children = 40 pm.start_servers = 20 pm.min_spare_servers = 10 pm.max_spare_servers = 30 pm.process_idle_timeout = 10s ping.path = /ping pm.status_path = /status pm.max_requests = 200 request_terminate_timeout = 300s

/etc/php/5.6/fpm/php-fpm.conf is as follows

[global] pid = /run/php/php5.6-fpm.pid error_log = /var/log/php/5.6/fpm.log log_level = notice include = /etc/php/5.6/fpm/pool.d/*.conf

/etc/php/5.6/fpm/php.ini is as follow

[PHP] engine = On short_open_tag = Off asp_tags = Off precision = 14 output_buffering = 4096 zlib.output_compression = Off implicit_flush = Off unserialize_callback_func = serialize_precision = 17 disable_functions = pcntl_alarm,pcntl_fork,pcntl_waitpid,pcntl_wait,pcntl_wifexited,pcntl_wifstopped,pcntl_wifsignaled,pcntl_wexitstatus,pcntl_wtermsig,pcntl_wstopsig,pcntl_signal,pcntl_signal_dispatch,pcntl_get_last_error,pcntl_strerror,pcntl_sigprocmask,pcntl_sigwaitinfo,pcntl_sigtimedwait,pcntl_exec,pcntl_getpriority,pcntl_setpriority, disable_classes = zend.enable_gc = On expose_php = Off max_execution_time = 300 max_input_time = 60 memory_limit = 128M error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT display_errors = Off display_startup_errors = Off log_errors = On log_errors_max_len = 1024 ignore_repeated_errors = Off ignore_repeated_source = Off report_memleaks = On track_errors = Off html_errors = On variables_order = “GPCS” request_order = “GP” register_argc_argv = Off auto_globals_jit = On post_max_size = 100M auto_prepend_file = auto_append_file = default_mimetype = “text/html” default_charset = “UTF-8” doc_root = user_dir = enable_dl = Off file_uploads = On upload_max_filesize = 100M max_file_uploads = 20 allow_url_fopen = On allow_url_include = Off default_socket_timeout = 60

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks !

Start verifying your caches.

Then deactivate all plugins and see if the load decreases. If it doesn’t, perhaps your site is under some kind of attack. Otherwise go activating each plugin again, and checking which of them causes your troubles.

If you find your problems to be not related to plugins you must find what’s is causing the heavy requests. A good start point, perhaps:

cd /var/log/nginx
tail -f *.access.log | grep -w php

This will list all of your requests to .php resources in real time. hopefully this makes some bells ring.

Thanks ! I will give a try. Thanks

Thanks Portofacil for your suggestion. Unfortunately it did not work. So I decided to reinstall everything from scratch monitoring performance step by step. What I discovered was that when I installed memcached + w3 total cache, following this tutorial https://easyengine.io/tutorials/php/memcache/ the performance issues begun again. htop showed high cpu usage when a simple post was saved (i.e. saving a post took 15 seconds of +100% cpu usage) while site was unresponsive.
Uninstalled memcached and w3 and now the only site installed run smoothly and fast. Thanks

In times of --wpredis why would someone use that cr*p named W3TC with memcached?