Rt seems to be slowing down my bp site

Hi there I am just about to launch my new site and the site seems to lag quite a bit and it might be that rt is the culprit according to P3 Plugin Performance (using more than 65% of load time) and I haven’t even loaded anything other then a couple test pics in…

Home URL prefer not to share Site URL prefer not to share PHP 5.4.37 MYSQL 5.5.40 WordPress 4.1 BuddyPress 2.2 rtMedia 3.7.32 OS Linux Imagick ImageMagick 6.7.6-8 2012-05-02 Q16 www.imagemagick.org GD bundled (2.1.0 compatible) [php.ini] post_max_size 64M [php.ini] upload_max_filesize 64M [php.ini] memory_limit 256M Installed Plugins bbPress by The bbPress Community version 2.5.4, BuddyPress Security Check by Shea Bunge version 1.3.1, BuddyPress Activity Plus by WPMU DEV version 1.6.1, rtMedia for WordPress, BuddyPress and bbPress by rtCamp version 3.7.32, BuddyPress by The BuddyPress Community version 2.2.0, Classifieds by WPMU DEV version 2.3.6.4, Contact Form 7 by Takayuki Miyoshi version 4.1, Directory by WPMU DEV version 2.2.6.3, E-Newsletter by WPMUDEV version 2.7.1.3, Events + by WPMU DEV version 1.8, Fundraising by WPMU DEV version 2.6.1.3, WPBakery Visual Composer by Michael M - WPBakery.com version 4.3.5, K Elements by SeventhQueen version 2.4, P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) by GoDaddy.com version 1.5.3.6, PopUp Pro by WPMU DEV version 4.7.0.4, Q&A - WordPress Questions and Answers Plugin by WPMU DEV version 1.4.3.7, Revolution Slider by ThemePunch version 4.6.0, Unveil Lazy Load by Daisuke Maruyama version 0.3.1, WP Smush Pro by WPMU DEV version 1.0.1, WP Super Cache by Automattic version 1.4.2, Post Voting by WPMU DEV version 2.2.2, Google Maps by WPMU DEV version 2.9.0.7 Theme Name Kleo Child Theme Version Author URL http://seventhqueen.com Template Overrides plugins/buddypress-media/templates/media/album-gallery-item.php, plugins/buddypress-media/templates/media/album-gallery.php, plugins/buddypress-media/templates/media/album-single-edit.php, themes/kleo/rtmedia/media/media-gallery-item.php, themes/kleo/rtmedia/media/media-gallery.php, plugins/buddypress-media/templates/media/media-single-edit.php, plugins/buddypress-media/templates/media/media-single.php, plugins/buddypress-media/templates/media/uploader.php Total Albums 1 Total Photos 2

P3 Performance Profile is an EXCELLENT plugin if you are bad at statistical math. wink

Why?

It doesnt give you any useful data.

All it shows you is that out of all the things your page needed to load, rtMedia too up about 70% of those resource loading times. And then it puts it in a fancy pie chart so you think you can see what plugins are “hurting” you performance-wise. Very useless! smile

What it does not do, is tell you a pie chart of what percentage of the page requires a plugin and then show performance data vs that chart. Look at all the other plugins you have – they all do basically nothing. rtMedia has a lot of things to lookup, load, and then display, that’s why the numbers are high.

If you disabled rtMedia, all of a sudden your pie chart would show BuddyPress as taking up 40% of the pie chart. Does that mean buddypress is slow? Nope! smile

If you want to test performance, test load times. ( tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ ). Or, better yet, install “Query Monitor” plugin from the free wordpress repository. That will tell you what SQL queries are slow.

You’ll probably be amazed, that rtMedia is a very fast and well optimized plugin. I run it on a site with over 60,000 members that has over 130,000 videos and pictures. Fast as all hell.

What you’re probably seeing – is a crappy webhost. Are you paying $5 a month for webhosting? If the answer is YES (or close to it) there is your problem. The cheaper the webhost is the more they throttle your CPU usage and limit your resources. That’s how they can put 3000 websites on one single server (if not even more on some of them!). Switch to a better webhosting provider, and enjoy a speedy site. Also look into installing W3 Total Cache to help out as well by caching pages, objects, and browser cache. You might even consider JetPack and turn on the “Photon” option, which is a CDN that will help speed up your site and provide you with a dozen other useful features.

I’m not a rtcamp employee, just a guy who uses a number of the plugins here. You should safely uninstall P3, it’s just useless garbage. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ben

1 Like