Questions before integrating this awesome plugin

Hello

I'm trying to integrate this fantastic plugin into my site, but I need some info about the future releases.

I have tested for days different ways to make the plugin work as a collaborative gallery (sitewide) when every member can upload images to any album and maybe create albums.

For the people that are in my same situation, now I have find two options:

USE THE SHORTCODE

• The members can upload from their profile to their own albums. All the media is listed thanks to the shortcode. But no shortcode for albums. there is no way to show organized media.

USE ONE GROUP AS MEDIA GROUP

• The users have to upload from the group uploader (the media uploaded from profile is not listed on group!!). they can upload to any album on the group (it depends of the privacy). The media is listed in the group organized by type of media (videos, photos, audio) and there is the option to organize by album. Because in the group you have the tabs "Album", "photos", "audio", "video", "upload". Also you can see the media uploaded to the group via shortcode, but not organized!

And now my questions about the future:

I need to know if there is a possibility to have sitewide albums, not in groups, to let any user insert media from a "upload" page via shortcode or something. The admin can create some albums where the members upload media. Like in groups, with a page with a menu like "photos, audio, video, albums, upload"...

When you insert media in groups, its not possible to edit or insert title or description.

Will be possible to search images by title or description?

I need to think in how I will create the galleries for my site. I know that buddypress and plugins like buddydrive are focused on users profile, but this is not a good option to share content because is not organized... its too difficult to find somethig.

Anyways... this is the best plugin to create a gallery, is not perfect but the update rate is awesome!

Thanks!

Miguel

I have read in another post that its possible to sponsor some code... Maybe for the sitewide albums option? Please let me know... Maybe we can find some user with the same needs to donate!

I only need to know if in the future will be able to create site wide albums and to upload media from a page or widget.

I have to decide now how to integrate the plugin. In groups or sitewide...

Thanks

Hi,

Right now there is no PIcassa like collaborative albums. The groups functionality leaves a lot to be desired, even for us.

We also plan to that. Our aim is to make BuddyPress Media way more flexible than it is right now. This will happen in due course, with or without sponsorship.

However, if you do sponsor such a feature, we'd be able to develop this faster and on a priority basis. Once the albums and media become more flexible than they are, shortcodes will also be able to reflect these. We did not add albums because currently, BuddyPress Media won't be able to handle displaying all the albums and media within outside the context of a user profile or a group.

An 'anywhere uploader' has been doing the rounds in support requests and our refactoring plans. So, uploading from a widget or elsewhere is also on the cards.

Regards.

Thanks for your time.

While I think about my possibilities to sponsor the site wide albums feature, I think that the best option for me is integrate now the buddypress media out of groups and wait/sponsor the sitewide albums feature.

Buddypress Media seems to be/will be powerfully out of groups. True?

Thanks again!

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

BuddyPress Media on groups is a hack to make the BuddyPress Media Component work with another Component (groups, activity, friendship and BuddyPress Media are components). So, although it has the basic functionality, it lacks most of the advanced features that the actual component provides on profiles.

For your case, currently working out of a group album seems to be the best solution. There's someone else in the organisation who handles sponsorship and custom development for BuddyPress and BuddyPress Media. They'll get in touch with you soon.

Regards.