Questions about BuddyPress Media plugin

Hello, First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong place. So with that said, there are just a few things that I would like some clarification on:

1.Does your latest plugin release support all mobile platforms(iPad,iPhone, Android etc.)? I need my users to have the ability to upload photos and video from their phones and tablets.

2.I plan on using Yootheme template for Wordpress. Is there any conflict that you are aware of that may affect your plugin from working correctly by using Yootheme's Warp framework?

3.I see that you have an FFmpeg converter plugin. If I have ffmpeg installed on my server, is this plugin still needed? And is so, could you explain why?

Thank you and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @lucaapollonio

Answers to your questions:

1. As far as we've tested, its working on most smartphones.

2. The plugin works perfectly with the default BuddyPress theme and other themes built on the same structure as BuddyPress' default theme but we haven't used it with Yoothemes's Warp framework yet so can't say for sure. Though its free and you can download it anytime to see if it works or not.

3. So you have FFMpeg installed on your server, but let me explain why you'll need the converter plugin. The FFMPEG can't work on it own to convert the files to MP4. It needs some commands and parameters to be passed so that it will convert the video to the desired format. Now for that we've made an open source server Media Node which does the job of handling the encoding queues and executing the commands on the terminal(Using NodeJS, one of the fastest and lightweight server). Now this Media Node server cannot communicate with the WordPress or BuddyPress on its own, so comes for help our plugin BPM FFMPEG, which takes the uploaded files from the user, and sends them to the Media Node Server and gives a callback URL to it. After the file is converted, the Media Node Server replies to the callback URL with the status of conversion(failed or completed) and then the BPM FFMPEG takes the file and puts them on the WordPress.

I hope it helps :)

Gagan,

Thank you for the prompt response and explanations. They were very helpful. One last thing, you say it works on "most" smartphones. Could you provide an example where you know it doesn't work on a particular phone? I take it that you have tested on most of the popular phones sold, I would just like to know for my own personal reference. Thank you again and I will update you guys when I start using your plugin. Take care.

Its not working on Androids whose version is below or equal to 2.3. We'll be adding simple uploader to support those phones in our future release.

Hello Gagan,

Unfortunately I am having trouble uploading photos from Android(Version 4.0.4). There are no errors being thrown like file size or a bad directory. What is happening is that the upload progress goes to 100% then nothing. It's like the photo just disappears. This happens when I try to upload a photo from the "My Gallery" menu option. However, I was able to upload a photo when selecting from the "Camera" menu option. When I selected "Camera", I took a picture and was able to upload it after I OK'd it. I'm not sure if it's a setting I'm overlooking but I was curious to know if anyone has encountered this same problem.

Just so you know, I am testing this on a fresh install of WordPress 3.5, BuddyPress 1.6.2, and I am using the default BuddyPress theme. The only plugins that I have activated are BuddyPress and BuddyPress Media. If I am unclear with what is happening, I apologize. I look forward to your response.

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry, we missed this thread. Gagan has been missing from action due to health issues. Does this still continue with the latest version of BuddyPress Media.

Regards.