OS Updates

Currently running EasyEngine 3.3.2. When I ssh to my droplet at Digital Ocean, I get the following login message:

20 packages can be updated. 9 updates are security updates.

Is it safe to update my box or will it cause problems with EE?

Thanks for your help!

Hello @aTeXuN

It is completely safe . Package update will not cause any issues for EE .

Thank you Prabuddha!

One more quick question Prabuddah. When I run apt-get update I get:

The following packages have been kept back: linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

which of course would install with apt-get -f update. Is it OK ti update with -f.

All so, is apt-get dist-update or apt-get -f dist-update ok for EE as well?

Thank you!

Sorry, I meant ugrade, not update in each of those questions above.

Hello @aTeXuN

Technically it is safe to use

apt-get -f upgrade

With upgrade packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances currently installed packages are removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed.

But with

apt-get dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a “smart” conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages.

so basically dist-upgrade would install or remove packages as necessary to complete the upgrade and is more likely to break stuff badly than upgrade .

So could not say but it might conflict with EE , depending upon os version you are using .

Thank you Prabuddah. NOT breaking anything was my main concern! :slight_smile:

Well, for me apt-get upgradedid always go well till now. On the other hand apt-get dist-upgradedid not when moving from Debian 7.8 to Debian 8.1, see https://github.com/rtCamp/easyengine/issues/587 and Ee doesn't work anymore after update to Debian 8.1

Still have the remaining question: If I’m already on the latest version of ee, is there a way to force reinstall ee (so, not being stopped by a You already have EasyEngine 3.3.1, exit status = 1 message)? How do I need to do that?

It would be great knowing how to do that in case I (or someone else) have the same issue somewhere in future again.

It would also be very interesting to have a correct OS upgrading procedure for e.g. Debian 7.x to Debian 8.x with ee still working correctly.

I’d recommend configuring automatic updates for at least security patches so you don’t have to worry about it. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticSecurityUpdates