Offloaded mysql without remote access

Just curious what the best suggestion is as I try to get a better understanding of how to best use ee.

Obviously I want to take advantage of my VPS hosts free offloaded mysql offering but they only allow databases to be created from their web panel for security purposes.

As I can tell it would seem the steps to use this would be:

1. Create site in ee - ee site create mysite.com --opts
  2. Change wp-config from ee generated db info to VPS host’s db info manually
  3. Delete the ee created db for the newly created site
  4. Run ee sync?

Am I over complicating things?

Additionally, I need to consider also that the user created during the site create process is also invalid, and the fact that mysql is still running locally on my server even if its not being used, it still needs to be monitored so logs and stuff don’t get out of control. I assume I need to keep it installed and running for ee to work properly?

Naturally it would be cool if I could tell the ee site create script to ask for my offsite db info during the creation process and bypass all those nasty steps above. Is this possible? Thx =)

Take a look at this article: https://easyengine.io/docs/remote-mysql/

Thanks @tyrro but notice the thread title that I do not have remote access to be able to give ee the credentials of the remote mysql server to create databases on demand. I must create the databases manually via my hosts web portal.

How do I tell ee to NOT attempt to create a db, db user and db prefix but rather to allow me to specify those during the site create process?

I see that I can edit ee.conf to supply the remote db address, db user but not db password. Nor does it explain whether or not this entails specifying these things in a way that it only builds the wp-config and DOES NOT attempt to create the db. Thx.

Why don’t you just modify wp-config.php after site creation? What’s the matter on keeping an unused database in your server?

Sorry my bad regarding remote access, somehow slipped away from me.

@janiosarmento I do indeed modify the wp-config.php thx. I was just trying to take advantage of the scripting capabilities of easyengine and save me the hassle of an unnecessary step. Additionally on the mysql service, it’s locked down but still just something else that is not necessary as it was the weakest component of my local stack so why leave it running and unattended if I can tell easyengine to either skip the db part or just use the info for building the wp-config.php file. I now have a 384gb dedicated offloaded db server, so why leave a mess was my thinking but then again, you’ve given me thought about considering just leaving in place as a fall back db server locally just in case or for some other admin tools that may need a local db.