Nginx and need to process specific php-files (WP plugin mobbel or similar)

Hi, maybe you have some experience regarding the following issue (even it’s not a direct question about EE itself:

• I am using EE 3.x with Fast CGI Caching
  • in addition I want to use Mobble / Mobble Shortcodes which is based on a mobiledetect php-class (see here)
  • The aim is to enable specific content on specific devices (e.g. show xx on mobile phones, but not on tablets)
  • I am not sure how to handle caching rules and mobble function
  • Are there any addon’s or configurations which prevent FastCGI to cache everything but instead let the server still process some defined php files?

Background: In this forum post it was said “If xxx has an option to not skip PHP then it might still work.” They speak about W3C but it applies to all caching engines… So is there a way to let nginx/FastCGI compute a defined php-part or file where the other parts are still be cached?

Thanks in advance for any idea…

Any idea? Would be very interested…

To be honest the plugin is not updated any more, he even states that in the forum thread, since he know’s it will not work with cache plugins, since we today use responsive themes, insted of special designs for Smartphones.

Doubt it can be done with FastCGI Cache.

Hi benzons (hi all), of course, you’re fully correct that nowadays this isn’t best practice anymore. I am using already a responsive design, no questions about that. But I have or want to use completely different plugins for mobile versus big screen (vertical vs. horizontal elements).

Now I am trying t find a simple way to separate both views to avoid loading unnecessary components (js-scripts, html elements). That’s the reason for trying to define specific parts for mobile versus desktop. Media queries unfortunately cannot fulfill this requirements…

Maybe I have to solve it from a different perspective: Is there another way to load scripts + html-parts based on screen size or media-queries?

Best regards…

Hi @jochenthomas

It’s been a long time, and we haven’t heard from you. It looks like your issue is resolved.

I am closing this support topic for now. Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile: