Multi Site with Domain Mapping and FastCGI cache bug

Hi!

Sorry, I posted another topic on a similar issue with W3TC on my live server, but I’ve been doing some more research and I now have a properly reproducible error that I believe is a bug unless I’m being especially stupid somehow! :wink:

So, the problem: Making a new post does not clear the cached front page.

I’m not getting confused with the browser cache - to test, I’m using an Incognito window in Chrome with Developer tools open & ‘Disable Cache’ ticked. I’m also using the latest version of EasyEngine (2.2.1).

To reproduce:

Create a new Ubuntu 14.04.1 Server VM (I’m using VMware Fusion on OSX)

Add some test domains to /etc/hosts:

172.16.197.152 eetests.loc
172.16.197.152 eetest1.loc
172.16.197.152 eetest2.loc
172.16.197.152 eetest1.eetests.loc
172.16.197.152 eetest2.eetests.loc

sudo apt-get install ssh and connect to the VM using Terminal.

$ wget -qO ee rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee
$ sudo ee site create nipples.loc --wpsubdom --wpfc

Configure nginx-helper & w3tc as directed here. Page Cache and Browser Cache disabled, Database and Object caches set to memcached. “Enable Cache Purge” ticked in nginx-helper, with all but the last two purging options ticked (comments).

Create two test subdomains (Network admin > Sites > Add new): eetest1 & eetest2

Install “WordPress MU Domain Mapping” plugin and:

$ cd /var/www/nipples.loc/htdocs/wp-content/
$ sudo cp plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/sunrise.php .
$ sudo nano /var/www/nipples.loc/wp-config.php 

and add define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' ); a few lines from the top.

Configure in: Network Admin > Settings > Domain Mapping… CNAME: eetests.loc, Domain options 1, 2, 3 and 4 ticked.

Add the mapped domains eetest1.loc and eetest2.loc in Network Admin > Settings > Domains

$ sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/eetests.loc

Uncomment both relevant lines for domain mapping and

$ sudo nginx -s reload

Now, visit http://eetest1.loc/ and everything looks ok. Try making a first post and everything’s still OK. Check the front page in a Chrome Incognito window with the browser cache disabled and it’s all fine.

Now try making one or two more posts, checking again in the Incognito window. The cached front page stops getting cleared.

What’s going on there then? I’ve tried just about everything I can think of and it’s driving me mad! Has anyone else got this setup working? Can you suggest anything?

Hi @vonkanehoffen

It’s been a long time, and we haven’t heard from you. It looks like your issue is resolved.

Anyways, Please follow this tutorial https://rtcamp.com/wordpress-nginx/tutorials/multisite/domain-mappinng/

Additionally add following lines in your sites nginx configuration:

listen 80 default_server;

server_name_in_redirect off;

mind that you provide default_server as the 2nd argument to listen directive.

I am closing this support topic for now. Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile: