Migrating a website from a shared host on bluehost to VPS with LE(nginx)MP stack?

I have a multisite wordpress with subdirectory setup in this way:

example.com

example.com/en

example.com/de

example.com/ar

example.com/cn

this is on a shared host (Bluehost), I want now to migrate that WPMU to VPS running LEnginxMP stack with wordpress, is this possible? Did anyone have any success with that? your help would be much appreciated.

I think you just need to backup your multisite using something like this tutorial https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-migrate-wordpress-from-shared-hosting-to-a-cloud-server-with-zero-downtime

since you are using easy engine you should first set up your droplet and install WordPress as a multisite with subdirectories. then follow the instructions on how to back up your website from the tutorial above.

As an alternative, you can purchase a pro license from servmask to back up your wordpress multisite. you then just install the plugin in on your new easy engine vps instance of wordpress and import the file. I would still backup your project as described in the first tutorial from digital ocean because if anything fails you have the backup files from both the database and the wpcontent folder.

i hope this helps you.

thanks for the response first! so you got the point that the major difference I would say between the shared host setup and the VPS setup is the use of the server engine, in the shared host they use the Apache while it the Nginx on the VPS. So if site migration succeeds between these two server engines on a single site setup, I don’t see any reason why it won’t work on multisite setup as well. Do you share the same opinion?

That said, the installation of Nginx with WordPress multisite setup needs Nginx Helper plugin, I still look for a good documentation on that installation though. I mean, Nginx + WordPress Multisite + subdirectory setup

There’s a lot of configurations that easy engine will set you up with so you do not have to marry the command line lol. There are a lot of vps servers out there that are running apache with varnish, or even using ngnx as a proxy, etc and you can find many step by step tutorials at digital ocean for a load of different server configurations.
I followed these two tutorials to set up nginx on a droplet with WordPress, multisite, and subdirectories. the first tutorial shows you many behind the scenes work that goes into the ngnx setup and the author at delicious brains included redis plugin and I think the ngnx helper as well on a single WordPress installation. The second one was very thorough on ngnx in a multisite for subdomains but I configured it as subdirectories instead during those particular steps: Hosting WordPress Yourself: Setting Up a Secure Virtual Server

|
|
|
| | |

|

| |
| |
Hosting WordPress Yourself: Setting Up a Secure Virtual Server This is article 1 of 8 in the series “Hosting WordPress Yourself” Hosting WordPress Yourself Part 1 – Setting Up… | |

|

|

How To Set Up WordPress Multisite with Nginx on Ubuntu 14.04 | DigitalOcean

|
|
|
| | |

|

| |
| |
How To Set Up WordPress Multisite with Nginx on Ubuntu 14.04 | DigitalOcean This tutorial will show you how to set up WordPress Multisite with subdomains on an Nginx web server. This allow… | |

|

|

thanks a lot for the links I assume, but they don’t show up like clickable links, only text. Anyway, I find out that I am missing the easiness that EasyEngine provides, first learned that from your mentioning of “easy engine” in your first reply. I am using Ubunt 16.04 I hope EE support it, I think this will make my life a lot easier. I will delve into these links and come back again. Thanks a lot!

Hi, finally had the WPMU migrated to the VPS. Would you please have a look at this follow up post, I had some questions at the end, may be you can come up with an explanation. Thanks again.