Managing a webserver

My knowledge of Linux is limited to just basic knowledge. You’ll find plenty of guides on how to setup a webserver with EasyEngine, and how to secure it. But if you decide to manage your own production server. What do you need to know?

• What needs to be updated?

• How often?

• What issues can occur?

• How do you prevent those issues?

What we recomend you to update all packages,EasyEngine,Your site Wordpress themes and plugins all time.

It depends on you. We update our own server daily :smile:

Sometime updates might break your site. Sometime not always.

To prevent such issue. What we suggest is update first on demo server, if all goes well then on live server. Also daily/weekly backup must be taken for /etc , /var/www and databases. So that if update breaks your sites then you can easyly revert that.

3 Likes

Thanks! That sounds doable :smile:

How about:

• Security, is regularly updating enough?
  • Logs, should you watch those? For what?

Updating all server is not enough. There are lot more parameters to secure server. Like fail2ban, clamAV, Passwordless SSH to your IP only, disable SSH root access, etc.

EasyEngine is nothing but set of Linux commands i.e. shell script. All that command output is written in logs.

1 Like

Great. If anyone knows any good guides on managing a production server, feel free to share them. Here’s one thread on serverfault I found about do’s and don’ts when updating.

Hello @Chester,

Thanks for sharing the guide for production server management.

I am closing this support topic for now. Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile: