Is it safe to allow EE to update all OS packages (except kernel)

I’m on Digital Ocean and at some point either EE or I excluded certain packages from system (Ubuntu 14.04) updates:

The following packages have been kept back:
  linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic nginx-common
  nginx-custom

I have this:

Installed: 1.6.2-1ppa~trusty
  Candidate: 1.8.0-1ppa~trusty

I wonder if I should upgrade nginx from the OS level or using the ee stack upgrade CLI (I don’t know if it does something in addition to what the OS would do?). Any experiences/ideas?

Hello @something,

EasyEngine don’t update all packages. The main condition for EasyEngine to update package is package must installed by EasyEngine itself.

Also EasyEngine internally uses apt-get upgrade command, but package update is done in safe way so that any server will not loose custom config done by EasyEngine. So we recomended to use ee stack upgrade command.

Hi @gau1991, thanks for your help.

Like I said I don’t know how nginx ended up in the excluded packages. I did install nginx using EasyEngine (v2.x), I just don’t remember whether I added it to the excluded list or EasyEngine.

I’ll give ee stack upgrade a try with the latest v3.x.

Hi @something

Please try the latest EasyEngine. Use ee update to upgrade your current EasyEngine version to the latest.

It’s been a long time, and we haven’t heard from you. It looks like your issue is resolved.

I am closing this support topic for now. Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile: