Installing EE on server where Nginx is already installed

Hi there,

Is it possible to install EE on a server where Nginx is already installed?

Kind regards franwess

How did you setup your current NGINX.

i think EE will overwrite your settings with the Config of EE. So you will have to do some migration work.

I’d suggest you removed your nginx compilation, because easyengine uses a custom compiled nginx version which includes modules like ngx_pagespeed for example.

Make your life easier…

Hey there @SaskiaLund & @jfschubert

Sorry for half explaining things – when installing Virtualmin only Apache is installed by default. You have to first remove Apache and then install the Nginx module. This is why Nginx is pre-existant on the server. My thinking was that when installing EE it would overwrite this configuration which it seems by your comments it would actually do --> don’t know if this makes sense?

Second, you might ask why Webmin/Virtualmin? For hosting multiple clients it is necessary to bring in some management bandwidth wise etc. which EE still lacks at this stage (but I believe it is coming if I look at the roadmap) – hope I am thinking in the right direction?

Thanks for your replies!!

Regards franwess

If you are running easyengine I would throw out Apache in general and run nginx only. You dont need Apache.

Thing is, ee is not “lacking” a visual interface. This is in fact a main advantage: this way, ee is slim and fast and does not need a lot of server resources; while any guis are drawing resources, which is unnecessary from my point of view. Why do your clients need access to serverside settings? Are you a hoster? If yes, you can still use nginx only and go with a gui solution like ispconfig, which runs great with ee. I used this myself at first, when I wasn’t so confident using shell only. After only 3-4 weeks I threw that gui out and am happy without any gui. My client websites are WordPress sites, and they are glad they don’t have to think about any serverside issues, because I take care of it for them.

Just my two cents.

Summed up: Please ee do not add a gui. Thanks!

Hi @SaskiaLund: thanks for the reply – I agree, EE from the command line works great. I also think that clients should not have to deal with server side issues – if I can ask, with your current clients, do you manage (limit) disk quotas and traffic per site? If you do, how do you manage that as it is not really feasible to give all clients unlimited everything?

Also, it is inevitable that some clients are going to require more access through FTP/phpmyadmin etc. How do you provide that to your current clients?

Regards franwess

Well I don’t do that, as I am offering full service maintenance and updates to my clients, that are hosted directly on my own server.

I didn’t even set up an FTP server on my server for security reasons.

What I do is offer SFTP access, if Iinstall an ee setup on my clients’ own VPS.

Maybe you should make yourself more familiar with how to set up user accounts on a linux machine, how to set up db users, configure permissions, etc. Especiall if you are offering hosting to your clients, you should at least know what you do and know the basic 101 of how to administrate a linux server.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think it is not very reponsive to host for others if you have no clue about the entire how when not using a gui. A gui offers visible buttons and input boxes for anything that can be done with a few shell commands. That is basically what a gui does: it allows for people who have no clue about how to use terminal commands, to execute certain shell commands and thus set values in config files. Nothing more nothing less.

So everything that a gui offers, can be done through shell as well. Adding SFTP users, configuring mysql users, configuring vhost configs, and anything that goes on on the server.

@SaskiaLund to be truly honest. I think we are talking past each other. The issue here is not gui or no gui neither technical ability via the command line to setup things. Actually I am quite comfortable in the command line and have been dealing with WordPress for nearly 10 years – since just after v 1.5. I have presented at local WP meetups in SA and do know what the difference is between a GUI and the command line. I hardly view myself as irresponsible…

What I am asking is: You have a server with a set of resources, hard disk space/bandwith – do you provide your clients with unlimited everything, eg. can one client on your server take up all the hard disk space/bandwith for a given month to the detriment of the others – extreme but the example works :smile:

This actually has nothing to do with management/updates – it has to do with server resources…

Do you manage all of that via the command line? I am just asking to get an idea of what other people do and to make a final decision on which way to go in our own business.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Regards franwess