How to parse index.html before index.php

I host WP sites so they are all happy with:

location / {  
    try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;  
}   

BUT if there is a index.html and no index.php I get a 404 error. Is there a way to change the above code to first look for index.html and only if not found look for index.php?

Look for a line like index index.php

It might be in main nginx.conf. If not found simply add a line like:

index index.html index.php OR index index.php index.html depending on priority you want for them inside server { ..} block or nginx.conf block.

For more details: http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpIndexModule#index

Sorry for not being more specific:

I use ISPCFG3 and initially the template for nginx vhosts contains this line:

index index.html index.htm index.php index.cgi index.pl index.xhtml;  

BUT as soon as I add this directive to a vhost the site stops looking for index.html files.

location / {  
try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;  

}

So I assumed they were conflicting and I would have to add index.html somehow to the try_files directive.

Any other pointers for me?

You can add index line outside location block.

It should work there as well.

Apart from this, if ISPconfig is doing anything unexpected behind the scene, then I won't be able to help.

Hm, might have to post in the ISPCFG forums. As I said this line is inside the server location, index index.html index.htm index.php index.cgi index.pl index.xhtml;

but as soon as I add the try_files directive, which btw. is added into the server location index.html stops working.

Will check their forums, I thought this was something specific to nginx.

Well, you can try following:

location / {  
    try_files $uri $uri/ /index.html /index.php?$args;  
}  

It should achieve your goal. But for a better answer, it will be good to contact ISPConfig as this is something most likely issue (or expected behaviour) with ISPConfig.

That worked awesome. Thanks!