How do you use the filters?

I know enough to know how to use the hooks, but I don't really understand how to use the filters shown on the documentation page. Can someone explain a little about those?

The filters are linked on the documentation page. You can find more description about each filter by clicking on those links. We are working on making the content more informative.

Here is a short summary of all the filters.
rtp_header_image_width : This is used to modify the width of the header image on your site, if you are using the Header ( in Dashboard, Appearance -> Header ) option to modify the header in your site. It also changes the width of the allowed cropped image dimensions while uploading the image.
rtp_header_image_height : This is used to modify the height of the header image on your site, if you are using the Header ( in Dashboard, Appearance -> Header ) option to modify the header in your site. It also changes the height of the allowed cropped image dimensions while uploading the image.
rtp_nav_menu_depth : This is used to specify the number of sub-menus/child to show in the primary menu. By default it is set to 4. So if you would like to have more than 4 submenus this the the filter to use.
rtp_default_image_path : This could be used to specify the path to a default thumbnail image. Incase your posts don’t have a thumbnail, this default thumbnail image would show up.
rtp_readmore : This filter is used by rtPanel itself to wrap the read more text in square brackets. This could be used to remove the brackets or modify the read more text/link.
rtp_add_theme_pages : This hook is mainly for plugin development. This adds an option tab next to General, Post & Comments.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Joshua,

I was confused about where to PUT them, but I see they work in the functions.php file just like the other hooks.