How do we Update from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS?

New release '16.04.1 LTS' available.`
`Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.
It was not possible to authenticate some packages. This may be a
transient network problem. You may want to try again later. See below
for a list of unauthenticated packages.

libmariadbclient18
libmysqlclient18
mariadb-client-10.0
mariadb-client-core-10.0
mariadb-common
mariadb-server
mariadb-server-10.0
mariadb-server-core-10.0
mysql-common

Restoring original system state

However if I run this some packages can’t verified…

I would like to this so I may add those servers to my mms.microsoft.com portal

It seems there is an OpenSSL error that some may think is specific to 14LTS

root@us:~# service omsagent restart
 * Shutting down Operations Management Suite agent:                      [ OK ]
 * Starting Operations Management Suite agent:                                  /opt/microsoft/omsagent/ruby/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': /opt/microsoft/omsagent/ruby/lib/ruby/2.2.0/x86_64-linux/openssl.so: undefined symbol: SSLv3_method - /opt/microsoft/omsagent/ruby/lib/ruby/2.2.0/x86_64-linux/openssl.so (LoadError)

So my hope is an LTS upgrade to 16 will fix that for me…

You should not upgrade with EE. 14.04 is still update until 2020. Mariadb error is only an error with gpg keys of the source.

Thanks for your input however this is not the question of should or shouldn’t

I need to know how please

I would like to this so I may add those servers to my mms.microsoft.com portal It seems there is an OpenSSL error that some may think is specific to 14LTS

Don’t upgrade.

Install Ubuntu 16.04 on a blank machine, then install EE, and finally move your sites to the new server.

Take a look at the search, and you’ll see the “dist-upgrade” process breaks EE. It is not safe, as far as I can tell.

Thank you Janio! I appreciate your advice… seems like this may be the only way. Interesting no EE staff have not given some clear advice on this yet. I can appreciate being very busy though : )

My personal experience is that everyone has their got their own set up which is unique. There is a reason why LTS are a big hit. Upgrading is a pain and it will always break something no matter how well you prepare for it. You should never upgrade a production server ever, if it’s not broken don’t fix it.

The recommended route is to do a clean install on a new VPS and then start from scratch. If you have a lot of sites/machines this is not fun. It kind of explains why some business are still using Windows XP