Google compute - wordpress fail

I am able to install latest stable EE on Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 (I guess 18.04 is not supported) server on my fresh Google compute instances. The problem is it refuses to install any type of WordPress. No mater what I do, always error or w/e. Why? is it because Google compute servers are not compatible?

I am only able to install v4 beta 6 without issues.

Opinions?

Ah… A topic after our own :heart:

Using EE on Google Cloud is kind of our thing, so I’m very interested in helping with this.

I’ve not followed every reported issue on v4, but based on this article: EEv4 Beta-6 should support Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 18.04 and Debian 8.

So, lets start with what you get when you run this command: cat /etc/lsb-release

Hi, there seems to be more issues than I expected. After working in WordPress admin, every once in a while I get 502 errors or database connection errors… Everything on vanilla WordPress. Idk is it just this v4 beta thing, or would it happen on 3xx release too.

I did not even try to fix my website after 4th time it went down. I am migrating from Serverpilot. I just wanted a solution that works. Easy engine is everything but easy :slight_smile: Maybe I should wait for an updated and stable release of ee, meanwhile run-cloud should be a temporary solution if needed. I really don’t want things like centminmod due to its complicated setup. I will, however, try and follow up topics regarding GCE, and test things when I can. tnx

I had trouble with ubuntu 18.04, but it worked fine with 16.04. Are you using a machine with a shared cpu, or a larger one with a dedicated cpu?

I use micro instance, it is enough to handle bigger traffic combined with Serverpilot. The cpu usage is always low. I thought ee is much lighter than SP, especially because it is not running Apache. Guess I was wrong, or it’s just v4 optimization problem?

Meanwhile, I’ve been testing (more like struggling) with Runcloud. I also tried it with 18.04 = fail! It’s ridiculous. Guess like the only stable cloud panel is Serverpilot. However, I am testing Ploi.io as I write this… server installation is on 50%… hope it works out.

First I’d like to say I do not work for EE, but I depend on it 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I have had issues in the past. I tell you this so I can be completely transparent when I tell you the people behind EE and this EE community have never failed to find solutions.

I don’t recall any issues deploying EEv3xx releases on Google Cloud Compute. I have even written a book about how (not published - Google Technology Stack changed significantly before I could get it published, but it is now being re-written). I have deployed new systems several times in the last few months; again with no issues.

So, I’m very curious about the exact GCC configuration you are using.

What configuration am I using? Default one. Create new instance>ubuntu 16.04>micro>http +https, ssd, that is it.

Little story about EE Since last year, or even longer, I wanted to try EE. I was on Serverpilot then. But I am faithful user, I don’t give up on something that brought me good and proved reliable. If it works don’t fix it, I said. Last week my gf blog crashed. I checked, I figured. It might be that new social share plugin which is super popular among WP users, but I knew it is fishy, it generated some shady extra characters on sharing links. Anyway, seems like this plugin depends on Apache, even though Nginx sits in from of Apache in Serverpilot configuration. How did I figure that out? Well simple, using Math. So I know that for every user apache alone takes about 10-12mb of ram, I multiplied number of bots which visited (attacked the website) together, with 12 (ram) and I got more than I have ram installed, not too much more, but more. Which means that my instance ran out of memory all at once and crashed. Well that is what I think anyway.

So, what am I to do, I don’t know, I wanna try something without Apache. … and I remembered EE. I don’t mind little bit extra console typing, but man, EE does not work with me.

I followed exact steps provided on ee website. EE is installed, but Wordpress doesn’t want to install. I managed to install it only using v4 beta.

Google Cloud Computer instances are Virtual CPUs and the Micro Instances are Virtual and Shared.

I’m sorry you have had struggles, but I don’t think EE, Google Cloud Compute nor Ubuntu is the source of your problems (by themselves). I’ve been using them together for quite a while. I never use the GCC Micro Instances because they are seriously limited in Processor and RAM resources.

Google’s Micro-Instances include 1 shared vCPU and .6 GB (640 MB) of RAM. https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/preparing-to-install.html suggests 512 MB of RAM just for Ubuntu 18.04 - I can’t quickly find the same spec. for Ubuntu v16.04 but I bet it is close, which only leaves 128 MB of RAM for all the added processes necessary to run EE and WordPress. I have not done any system specification shaping studies, but only 128 MB of RAM after installing Ubuntu is not something I’d recommend (By all means, feel free to dispute this).

I am no server expert, but 1 of my websites which is running on Ubuntu 18.04 + Serverpilot (OPcache + WPRocket) +GCE micro instance, handles 300-400 visitors daily without any issues.

`free -m`
  • the whole system is using up to 300mb
  • in swap there is always 507
  • shared 23
  • buff/cache always around 225
  • available between 100 and 160
  • free always more that 50

I have no idea what is available and what is free, but the only one that is changing is available.

It is like that for a year now (before it ran on 16.04). … I do not have any plugins calling directly for Apache, and the visitors are served with cached content always. All the other sites do not have much traffic, but they are all on WPRocket or WP SUper cache (+OPCache). The only problem was that social share plugin calling Apache by ignoring cached files completely.

Therefore, I am legible to say that Google micro instance is enough if configured properly. If it can handle 300-400 visitors without using many resources (if any), it can handle at least 10 times more.

Even without caching, I never had problems working in backend. That is why I was using Serverpilot. It configures everything out of the box and works as advertised.

As for EE v3x I do not know what to say. For v4 I can say that it is fast, but it does need more resources (if you are right).

So…

Here’s what I get when I run the:

free -m

…command.

On the same server I run iStat (by Bjango - No this isn’t an affiliate thing) and the same (very close) time period, this is what I get from it’s reporting:

…which reports 460.6 MB being used.

If I add up the various packages (at the bottom of the iStat screenshot) all of them together total 430.2 MB with my iStatServer taking 13.2 MB of that.

What jumps off the screen for me here is that the memory usage doesn’t match (or even add up).

This represents EEv3.8.1 running on a Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Google Cloud Compute instance (not on a Micro-Instance) for the website https://tyrochristian.org/

After I cooled off (from ee install failures and testing other options), I took few days ‘off’. Now I’m back and I am REALLY HAPPY on how things worked out. I tried installing EE on little bit stronger Google instance (1,7gb + 1vCPU shared). It all works. No problems so far.

I do, however, have few questions about all those tutorials on ee website.
For example these tutorials are making me very qurious:

1. Better wp-cron using linux’s crontab
  2. Performance Optimization
  3. Optimizing Nginx Configuration
  4. Tweaking fastcgi-buffers
  5. SSL – PCI compliance and performance
  6. Nginx’s Open file cache
  7. Configuring HTTP/2 Server Push
  8. Block wp-login.php bruteforce attack

Do I realy need to optimize all that or it is already optimized for me? Also, I installed --wpfc configuration. Is there any tutorial on how to setup W3TC, (the recommended way for ee) or? Should I enable OPCACHE? I don't think it is enabled (installed), or I am missing something?

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.