Error 'MySQL Connectivity problem occured' with valid .my.cnf with valid autologin?

Hello, I am new to EE and having a issue. Clean Ubuntu 14.04 VPS, used EE install command and made a generic site manually with no problem, but anything I try to make that would use a mysql DB fails with a error: ‘MySQL Connectivity problem occured’ “Oops Something went wrong !!”

Checked mysql error log and saw the normal: [Warning] Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)

Alas here is the issue I can tell why. I verified the password files are all there, as well as mysql command auto logs in:

root@ubuntu:/# cat /root/.my.cnf
[client]
user=root
password="password"

root@ubuntu:/# cat ~/.my.cnf
[client]
user=root
password="password"

root@ubuntu:/# cat /etc/mysql/conf.d/my.cnf
[client]
user = root
password = "password"

root@ubuntu:/# mysql
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 165
Server version: 10.1.8-MariaDB-1~trusty-log mariadb.org binary distribution

Copyright (c) 2000, 2015, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]>

So I am not sure where EE is getting the wrong password for the MYSQL database. Anywhere else I should be checking, or any suggestions at all to fix this issue would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

Seems like I figured it out… I guess it is a bug. To have a mysql password with special charachters (# for example) you have to enclode in in quotes in my.cnf (i.e. password = “p@s$”) which seems to break the EE Site Create at the mysql portion even when both my.cnf files have the correct password in correct format.