Can't install EE on a fresh box (Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS)

Hi, I just got a new linode and trying to install EE on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. It got stuck on this line:

Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/sh/

I left it on for 30 mins and no movements at all. Then Ctrl + C and couldn’t install EE anymore.

So I tried to reinitiate this command. There is a big delay of 50 seconds or so and get this error:

wget -qO ee rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee

byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/mysql.py to mysql.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/variables.py to variables.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/extract.py to extract.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/addswap.py to addswap.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/checkfqdn.py to checkfqdn.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/nginxhashbucket.py to nginxhashbucket.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/download.py to download.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/cron.py to cron.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/apt_repo.py to apt_repo.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/shellexec.py to shellexec.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/services.py to services.cpython-36.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ee/core/init.py to init.cpython-36.pyc installing package data to build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg running install_data creating /etc/ee error: could not create ‘/etc/ee’: File exists [ Sun Sep 23 12:23:30 EDT 2018 ] Unable to install EasyEngine, exit status 1 Running post-install steps ee: line 717: cd: /etc/ee: Not a directory ee: line 798: ee: command not found

For EasyEngine (ee) auto completion, run the following command

source /etc/bash_completion.d/ee_auto.rc

EasyEngine (ee) installed/updated successfully EasyEngine (ee) help: http://docs.rtcamp.com/easyengine/

How do I fix this?

Thanks.

I finally solved this issue. It seems that there were some network connectivity issues with pypi.org site today so none of the Python distribution packages were downloadable from EE install. That caused EE not to install correctly.

After a series of digging on Google, finally, I found the solution. I downloaded all required python packages from pypi.org directly and then manually installed the individual packages using PIP command and then cleaned up half-baked EE installed files.

Then re-ran the whole EE install again and it was able to recognize the downloaded packages and now EE 3.8.1 is successfully installed on 18.04.1 LTS server.

Hope this helps someone someday.

Thanks, JK

Great, yeah this was faced by few people.