Cannot create/start proxy container. Please make sure port 80 and 443 are free

please help how tofix this i try to create wordpress command
sudo ee site create site --type=wp

The error message is your clue here.

Cannot create/start proxy container. Please make sure port 80 and 443 are free

You have some other service running on port 80 and/or 443, most probably Apache or Nginx. If you’re not too comfortable finding and killing those services, then I suggest you start with a fresh VM.

i dont know what to do what is the perfect combination of code to fix this problem please help
when i to try to back to v3,8 and create again a wordpress it say unable to create symbollic link

There is no perfect combination of code to fix this as we don’t know what you did. You can start here - https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/106561/finding-the-pid-of-the-process-using-a-specific-port
But mind you, if you want to go down this rabbit hole, you’ll have to do a lot of google search and then a lot of trial and error.

If you’re not comfortable doing that, I’ll suggest you start with a fresh OS install.

Hey there,

You first have to figure out what’s using port 80 and 443. Run the following command to check:

lsof -i :80 | grep LISTEN

Replace :80 with :443 as well. You’ll see what process is using those ports. More than likely its Apache.

Is EE being installed on a fresh server?

1 Like

Do not install nginx before running EasyEngine.

• Here is the roadmap:
  • Create your VPS instance (Lightsail, Digital Ocean, etc.)
  • Connect SSH to instance
  • Update: sudo apt-get update (do not: sudo apt-get install nginx because this will use port 80)
  • Running EasyEngine
    Fix it and drink a coffee