Bad Gateway error after update - please help

After update to 3.5.6, I get a 502 bad gateway on all sites.

I see this in the log: 2016/05/09 22:18:30 [error] 26667#26667: *49 connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 94.213.97.187, server: theecoshop.nl, request: “GET / HTTP/1.1”, upstream: “fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000”, host: “theecoshop.nl”

I am using redis+hhvm+nginx.

Any idea on how to fix this? I have tried re-installing nginx (mainline) and php, restart. But no luck so far.

service seems to be running: nginx : Running php5.6-fpm: Running mysql : Running

site info: Nginx configuration wp wpredis (enabled) PHP Version 5.6 Pagespeed disabled HHVM enabled

PHP seems to be running: root 11132 0.0 0.0 11740 920 pts/2 S+ 22:58 0:00 grep --color=auto php

Also tried to purge the PHP stack and then re-install. doesnt work.

1 Like

looks like the issue can be reproduced when upgrading from latest repositories on ubuntu 14.04 , specifically when using apt-get upgrade / dist-upgrade

1 Like

I have this exact problem after having done apt-get upgrade / dist-upgrade on a DigitalOcean Ubuntu 14.04 droplet half an hour ago.

1 Like

Looks like the /run/php directory wasn’t created, but it’s expected to create the .pid file, so PHP is failing to start.

thanks for your replies!

any idea how to resolve this?

the run/php directory is indeed not present.

i have already removed and re-installed PHP. and also purged PHP and then re-installed. (using ee stack commands).

It seems this can be resolved quite easily, please let me know how, my sites are all down :frowning:

mkdir /run/php
service php5.6-fpm start

That should get it started.

1 Like

yes, that did the trick! man, cant believe after so many hours of checking configs en reinstalling stuff, it was so simple.

thanks alot!

1 Like

You are a life saver man! Did the trick after almost an hour of pain.

i believe the issues were fixed by php package maintainers on ubuntu. do another apt-get upgrade and restart your web stack (ee stack restart)

1 Like

That is true. Just upgraded again. This is an LTS someone should really be testing these upgrades before putting them into the repositories.

1 Like

yeah well, that’s not really up to the devs of EasyEngine. they are using packages from other third-party maintainers. for php it is the following: https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php

Perhaps in the future the packages will all be maintained by them… Meanwhile, never update any packages or run any update commands on a live server without testing first! that means no apt-get upgrade , ee update or ee stack upgrade

1 Like