'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 (EE 3.3.8)


#1

Continuing the discussion from 'ascii' codec can't decode issue:

This is supposed to have been fixed in 3.0.3, but I’m seeing similar error in EE 3.3.8 when I run “ee info”

'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 684: ordinal not in range(128)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


#2

@GeorgeAppiah

It depends on your local encoding config through which you connect to server. With my previous experience this issue is occured to the OSX users and Windows users mostly.


#3

I’m on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS – not Windows or OSX.

How do I fix this “local encoding config”?


#4

Try this:

sudo locale-gen "en_US.UTF-8"

then logout from your server and login again

need more help?

go here http://askubuntu.com/questions/76013/how-do-i-add-locale-to-ubuntu-server and http://askubuntu.com/questions/162391/how-do-i-fix-my-locale-issue


#5

I do not really like to revive old/aging posts, but I stumbled across this issue in EE v3.7.4

So, it was either start a new thread, or revive this one. I flipped a coin :grin:

The error I’m getting reads:

'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

… and it occurs when i run the:

ee stack status

…command. It is displayed right after:

HHVM is not installed

…but never displays anything more than those two lines.

Obviously, I reviewed the details of this thread, though the solution did not work; nor did the solutions offered at the links suggested by @siprof

There was also details of a similar issue in EE 3.0.3 (see: ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode issue), but again, the suggested fix didn’t work.

I only use Debian for my VPS.

I have a specific process I follow for every EE instance I deploy (I/we call it GLEEMPLE - Think ISO-like process for deployment).

I use Google Cloud Platform for every VPS I manage, except this one. This specific VPS is hosted in AZURE (Hey, don’t judge! :open_mouth: )

Yes, I did find a solution before posting this post. I am posting it anyway in hopes it will help someone else solve this problem.

env | grep LANG

…returned nothing, and:

locale

returned this:

…where I was able to identify that LANG was blank.

Finally, I was able to fix this issue by issuing the following command:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

#6