Adding Lines

Hey, I'm not sure how much support this support forum offers, but I'm quite new to css/html. I was wanting to make some simple graphical additions to the theme. I was wondering if someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I have attached two screenshots, Firstly with my theme as is, and secondly with my desired changes. If you do not offer help in this area, all good, otherwise if you can help, thanks a bundle.

Attachment Link(s):

http://rtcamp.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/topics/4813/2013/05/Original.png

http://rtcamp.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/topics/4813/2013/05/Changes.png

Adding the lines to the navigation bar was easy enough, I’m having trouble adding them to the side bar and post without damaging the existing formatting. (adding to: #sidebar { margin-top: 2em; } with a 2px border-left black, just drops the whole menu down below. I’m assuming I’m bumping the width up above its default, but I can’t find where that is stored / the best way to edit it. Thanks for any help you can provide :slight_smile:

Also have another question, when I make changes to the font in a post, the changes are not displayed when the post is on the main page. If I click on the post, and say I’ve added “strong” text, or italics, these effects will show up, but when I look at the post from the main page, these font changes are not applied?
Same thing is also happening with my facebook like box, but this could also be due to the widget itself, not the theme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Ted.

Hi,
Looks like you are not using a child theme. The changes you make to rtPanel would be lost if you update it. Try using the example child theme, and then you can customize your theme all you want without losing on the updates.

Try putting the following styles in your child theme and see if it does the trick.

#rtp-primary-menu {  
    border-top: 2px solid #041b23;  
    border-bottom: 2px solid #041b23;  
}  

.post-header {  
}  

.hentry {  
}  

#sidebar {  
    border-left: 2px solid #041b23;  
    padding-left: 5px;  
}  

This would push your sidebar down so to handle that you would need to copy the sidebar.php from your parent theme and place it in the child theme. Then on this line of your sidebar.php add an extra class rtp-omega to #sidebar in the following manner

Regarding the font style, the content on the main page is the excerpt, so it strips the html tags and just displays the text.
If you would like to format the way the excerpt appears on archives you could manually add an excerpt for a particular post. This can be done by editing the required post and going to the “Excerpt” Metabox ( If this metabox is not visible try checking it from the screen options available at the top right corner of the edit post page ). Here you can type in your excerpt alongwith the required html tags. This won’t be stripped or truncated and will show as it is.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thank you, that all worked perfectly.
The help is much appreciated.

Glad to know it worked :slight_smile: