How to use and show WEBP images?

I would like to use WEBP images on my wordpress sites. I was creating for every jpg and pnp image in my media folder, a WEBP image with the same name in the same folder.

But my wordpress page still shows the jpg and pnp images. What do I have to do, so that the WEBP images do show up?

I am thankful for any help.

2 Likes

+1, I’m unable to get this working by adding the map and location blocks to user.conf. Any ideas?

No one was answering me this about one year ago, but I got it worked out. You can just use one of these 2 plugins, that do create the Webp and does show them. EWWW or Imagify. I do use them with WP Rocket, that has also an option to show WEBp

I hoped that will help you also.

Hi David,

I appreciate the reply. Are you using the plugin on its own or did you use it in conjunction with some user.conf rules? I tried installing EWWW but it didn’t seem to work as expected.

Guys, I have an idea moving on my mind some days ago that maybe would help with this post and whit speed up the web site but can’t find lot of info about this specific thing.

All is about a google module for nginx. Yeah, google. It’s called pagespeed module. For me, that’s like REAL MAGIC. Right now I’m with other projects, but can’t wait to probe it on my LEMP server.

You can see this module can help you to convert automatically on the go to WEBp format buuuuut only when the browser are CHROME, opera and firefox (aaand IE lol). I think this is important as someone could be using for example Safari. I don’t know if the plugins work the same way, if they show WEBp for every one or not. With the google’s module there is an advantage, it detects the browser and only shows to the web browser that can display it and without the need of a plugin but some config. I was going to put the URL for this, but “new users can just put 2 url’s”, so google for this: developers.google.com-speed-webp-faq

The configurations seem to be easy, but I don’t know if it is. Take a look: here.

I really wish to create or have a community just for speeding up a WP site with Nginx, but I’m kinda nervous about it coz I’m not an expert. Just if you guys are interested, maybe I can do a post about that and we all can share experiences, what do you say?

In fact, what you always hear is that you shouldn’t be using as much plugins as you can. You see sites that uses like a bunch of plugins. I have a premise: just the necessary.

Well, you have my ideas. Wish to hear from you.

Saying hi, from Colombia.

Hello Spiky,

I had the same problem. As I am not a system ing. and no one answered me to solve this problem, I installed WP Rocket, which does serve the WEBp images. This a premium plugin but you could try it with a nulled version and if everything does work out for you, you may should buy the plugin. Here you can get a nulled version:

https://www.wplocker.com/wordpress-plugins/67584708-wp-rocket-v3421-wordpress-cache-plugin.html

With this you do not have to change any of the configuration