Freemius is extremely slow. Makes BuddyPress Media slow

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using Buddypress Media and lately my website is extremely slow. My server is hooked up to New Relic and sure enough I find the following in my New Relic account:

Slowest components Count Duration%
api.freemius.com220,000 ms 88%

So I started digging around on the server:

public_html $ sudo grep -r 'api.freemius.com' *

And I found:

wp-content/plugins/buddypress-media/lib/freemius/includes/class-freemius.php:                                        '<b>' . implode( ', ', $this->apply_filters( 'api_domains', array( 'api.freemius.com' ) ) ) . '</b>' )
wp-content/plugins/buddypress-media/lib/freemius/includes/class-freemius.php:                'api@freemius.com',                              // recipient
wp-content/plugins/buddypress-media/lib/freemius/includes/sdk/Freemius.php:        define( 'FS_API__ADDRESS', '://api.freemius.com' );
wp-content/plugins/buddypress-media/lib/freemius/includes/sdk/Freemius.php:        define( 'FS_API__SANDBOX_ADDRESS', '://sandbox-api.freemius.com' );

Which is fine, I guess this plugin is used for differentiating between free/payed plugins, but it’s making my website extremely slow! So slow I had to disable the entire plugin, which is a shame, I was about to purchase two addons because the plugin + addons is exactly what I am looking for.

Anybody here who is experiencing the same as me?

Same here, we’re seeing responses from api.freemius.com upwards of 4 seconds per call (and there are two calls), rendering the plugin unusable. We didn’t switch it off though, we just stubbed the Freemius API calls to return nothing, problem solved for now, but we are looking for a replacement plugin.