Upgrade to 14.04 and receiving python error

Receiving this error whenever I attempt any easyengine commands:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/sbin/ee", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2749, in <module>
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 444, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 725, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 628, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: ee==3.4.0

Any ideas on how to fix this? I’ve tried a few things, but nothing has solved it.

Fixed with

$ sudo rm /usr/local/bin/ee

$ wget -qO ee rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee

I had the same issue but I do have existing website. But now after running wget -qO ee rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee every time I try to see a list of website with ee site list I receive ‘Unable to query database’ error. So what is the proper procedure to upgrade existing ee install from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04?

Interesting. I just tried the site list command and it works for me. There have been a few ee updates since I upgraded though, so I’m thinking something must have changed since then. It took me a good while to figure out the correct command to use. It was quite a bit of trial and error. I assume you made a backup before upgrading or have automatic backups?

No problem, it’s a cloned snapshot of the main server so no harm is done. Just wanted to see if I could safely upgrade, but looks like I cannot. During the upgrade a bunch of packages were removed / added so this could be a problem. I don’t know.

Yeah, there would normally be packaged removed/added during the upgrade regardless of ee being present or not. I’d copy and paste your exact error though.

when trying to run sudo ee update I got exact same error as you posted originally. Then I did what you suggested and I guess my previous configs were overridden, so now any ee command returns: "Unable to query database".

You ran sudo ee update after doing the re-release upgrade command?

What version of ee were you running before you did the update? Depending on the version beforehand, it might be worth doing the ee update prior to upgrading?

I had v 3.3.5 , yes I should try to update first and then do release upgrade.

Well, I tried to update ee first to the latest version and then do the upgrade to 14.04. Any commend with ee returns the following errors:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/sbin/ee", line 5, in <module> from pkg_resources import load_entry_point File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2749, in <module> working_set = WorkingSet._build_master() File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 444, in _build_master ws.require(__requires__) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 725, in require needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 628, in resolve raise DistributionNotFound(req) pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: ee==3.5.5

Perhaps RTCamp guys can chime in and let us know the proper procedure to upgrading Ubuntu from 12 to 14, especially now that certain features, like PHP7 works only on 14.04.

This time your suggestion worked and all is fine for now.

1 Like

Yeah, seems like the fix is to then ensure you are running the latest version of easyengine before you do the upgrade. Afterward, use the command quote above and you should be good to go.