Advice for those of us been running EE for a long time

Hello rtCamp & EE Community,

Looking for some advice on what to do for those of us that have been running and updating EE for a long time.

I know rtCamp have changed MySQL engines, implemented HHVM and Pagespeed. For example, for those running fast-cgi with w3tc sites (–wpfc created sites), what would be the ideal config now or changes to our site configs to reflect the latest EE offers?

As an example, my /etc/nginx/site-enable for one of my sites looks like the below, this is my own site and I tend to do production level testing on it before client sites. I can bring a copy of it up and test via UpdraftPlus restores to an alternate site url, but I wanted to gain some insight into what various changes may occur before doings so:

# WPSINGLE FAST CGI NGINX CONFIGURATION

server {

server_name coralseait.com www.coralseait.com;

access_log   /var/log/nginx/coralseait.com.access.log rt_cache;
    error_log    /var/log/nginx/coralseait.com.error.log;

root /var/www/coralseait.com/htdocs;
    index index.php index.htm index.html;

include common/wpfc.conf;
    include common/wpcommon.conf;
    include common/locations.conf;

##
    # CSIT - Aug 22nd, 2014 - Edwards, David
    # Include the yoast xml site map rules
    ##
    # Rewrite rules for Yoast SEO per https://rtcamp.com/wordpress-nginx/tutorials/plugins/yoast-seo-sitemap/
    location ~ ([^/]*)sitemap(.*)\.x(m|s)l$ {
            rewrite ^/sitemap\.xml$ /sitemap_index.xml permanent;
            rewrite ^/([a-z]+)?-?sitemap\.xsl$ /index.php?xsl=$1 last;
            rewrite ^/sitemap_index\.xml$ /index.php?sitemap=1 last;
            rewrite ^/([^/]+?)-sitemap([0-9]+)?\.xml$ /index.php?sitemap=$1&sitemap_n=$2 last;

## following lines are options. Needed for wordpress-seo addons
            rewrite ^/news_sitemap\.xml$ /index.php?sitemap=wpseo_news last;
            rewrite ^/locations\.kml$ /index.php?sitemap=wpseo_local_kml last;
            rewrite ^/geo_sitemap\.xml$ /index.php?sitemap=wpseo_local last;
            rewrite ^/video-sitemap\.xsl$ /index.php?xsl=video last;

access_log off;
    }

##
    # CSIT - Aug 22nd, 2014 - Edwards, David
    # Include the specific site nginx.conf for plugin and w3tc pro
    ##
    include /var/www/coralseait.com/htdocs/nginx.conf;

}

What would be the impact of issuing sudo ee update --hhvm=on --pagespeed=on ?

For a full picture of the site’s ‘stack’

1. created and updated through quite early release of EE via --wpfc switch and using sudo ee update (and later when that stopped working via sudo wget -qO ee rt.cx/ee && sudo bash ee). The easy engine install is on the very latest release as of this post. I think it was 1.6 or maybe early 2.x when I first created the site, but can’t recall.

2. w3tc is on with following settings:

– Minify to memcache

– DB to memcache

– Object Cache to memcache

– Browser Cache on

1. CloudFlare is active for the site, but via the CloudFlare admin panel NOT via w3tc. CF is not doing any performance optimisations (non minify, etc) but is doing basic cache.

2. MaxCDN is active for the site, via w3tc panel.

Should w3tc be removed if we implement hhvm and/or pagespeed? If w3tc is removed or disabled, what settings are needed to implement or keep MaxCDN (I’m grandfathered in as a very early adopter and so get excellent rates compared to their newer pricing model so happy to keep them).

Also can I force an update to newer / preferred vs of MySQL?

Basically, I’m looking for good advice on how to bring a site or sites created with 1.x / 2.x releases of EE --wpfc to the latest recommended options.

Cheers!

Great question! I’d like to know this as well :slight_smile:

Just bumping this, could we get some discussion going around this topic?

Really interested in what changes we should make to our site configs to bring them to the latest recommendations by the rtCamp crew!

Cheers

@davidedwards and @Chester First, I thank you for using EasyEngine.

I saw this thread before but I couldn’t think of any answer.

EasyEngine only expects that you keep updating EasyEngine from time to time. Everytime you upgrade EasyEngine, it not only changes its own code but also config and packages on server, if necessary. So by running latest version you are already getting latest stuff.

I will try to answer your other questions with some details about upcoming changes.

1. We may drop w3tc support soon - https://github.com/rtCamp/easyengine/issues/509
  2. HHVM will be soon become default but it won’t need anything to be changed
  3. CDN is highly recommended for static files wp-content/uploads specially if you have large images and many of them on a single page. You may get better deal at http://cdn.net/ and http://cdn77.com
  4. Pagespeed is going through tricky situation - https://github.com/rtCamp/easyengine/issues/497 . So pagespeed will not be enabled by default anytime soon.
  5. We are exploring new plugins for WordPress CSS & JS files minify + combine. Again as pagespeed is not working as expected, we need to do it via WordPress at the moment.
  6. We are also exploring different “distributed” caching mechanism in nginx as alternative to fastcgi-cache. If they work with pagespeed, it will solve multiple problems in one go.

As we are still experimenting with different features and setup, there is no single best “to-do” list as of now.

Cheers Rahul,

Regarding pagespeed minify and combine, I found something that did quite improve things. Essentially the id tags inserted by WP in the markup cause pagespeed to skip combing. I’ve tested this and it fixes the combine. Further it will differentiate with different medial="" markup so any scripts / files we wish to combine with WP and pagespeed should have no id and the same media in the markup:

on MySQL I’m wondering what the recommended engine is these days? Straight up MySQL, Percona or MariaDB?

In our case, pagespeed did minify and combine but broke fastcgi_cache which is critical for static sites usually run on WordPress.

EasyEngine is using MariaDB. If your server is on PerconaDB - you may run ee stack migrate --mariadb. Please test that command on a staging/replica server first.

Hi @davidedwards

I hope your query is resolved. I am closing this support topic for now.

Feel free to create a new support topic if you have any queries further. :slight_smile: